Have no ideas for the weekend? Check out this list of best comedies and you will definitely have a great time! :) 50. Porky’s This movie was lamb blasted for its sexual content and was considered to be a somewhat sexist film, but it actually dealt with a number of major social issues and still managed to be a very funny movie.
49. Encino Man “Hey buddy,” you can’t have a list of top 50 movies without including one starring Pauly Shore. OK, so he has won several Razzie Awards for being a terrible actor. Still, he was a cultural icon during the 90s and his movies are truly legendary among Shore fans.
48. Tommy Boy This movie didn’t receive very much critical acclaim, but has a very strong cult following. Chris Farley, who has risen to legendary status in the comedy world, stars in this film about a hard partying boy that takes an executive position in the family business.
47. Shanghai Noon Starring Jackie Chan and Owen Wilson, this action-western comedy is a very unique film that combines just about everything you could ask for in a movie. Besides, watching kung fu in a western is something no one should miss!
46. Roxanne This modern retelling of Cyrano de Bergerac takes a comedic approach to the romantic tale. Starring Steve Martin and Darryl Hannah, there is plenty of romance and comedy to be found in this film.
45. The Mask Jim Carey is the king of visual comedy, which is highlighted in this film. His hilarious facial expressions help take this movie to extreme comedic levels.
44. History of the World, Part I In the quirky fashion that is expected from a Mel Brooks movie, this film takes an interesting look at the history of man. A history lesson has never been so much fun!
43. Wild Hogs This movie pairs some of today’s biggest comedic stars, including Tim Allen and Martin Lawrence, as well as a few stars you wouldn’t necessarily think of when you think comedy. This movie didn’t do well with the critics, but comedy lovers every flocked to see it again and again.
41. Weekend at Bernie’s Any movie that stars a dead main character has to be interesting, and that is just what this movie delivers. You may feel a bit guilty as you laugh historically at the thought of a dead man water-skiing, but it is funny nonetheless.
40. Ice Age This star-studded animated film pulls together many of your favorite comedians, including Dennis Leary and Ray Ramano. This cute film manages to remain family-friendly and funny all at the same time.
39. The Simpsons Movie Simpson’s fans rejoiced when this feature film hit the big screen. The movie keeps true to its roots, being akin to simply a really long episode of the popular show.
38. Bad Boys Starring Will Smith and Martin Lawrence, you might be surprised to learn that much of this movie was improvised. The raw humor and fun storyline makes this a truly great comedy.
37. Top Secret! Top Secret features Val Kilmer in his film debut and parodies Elvis movies as well as World War II films. Kilmer even sings in this 80s comedy classic.
36. Friday This unique buddy movie starring Ice Cube, Bernie Mac, and Chris Tucker takes place all on one day and mostly revolves around a bunch of friends sitting on the porch and hanging out together. Yet, somehow, it works!
35. Police Academy Police Academy and all of its sequels were quite the commercial success, despite a less than favorable reception from critics. Nonetheless, the antics that ensue in this comedy are quite funny indeed!
34. Me, Myself, and Irene No can pull off multiple personalities like Jim Carey, and he proves it in this hilarious movie. Despite his mental illness, Carey’s character ultimately manages to save the day.
33. Trading Places This movie, which stars Dan Akroyd and Eddie Murphy, takes a comedic look at what would happen if a rich man and a poor vagrant suddenly traded their lifestyles.
32. Home Alone Home Alone is a cute comedy that depicts how a young boy, played by Macaulay Culkin, manages to outwit some criminals that try to rob his house while he is left home by himself.
31. Superbad This isn’t a family movie, but it will keep you laughing. The teenage antics that take place in this film have lead many to refer to it as a modern day version of Fast Times at Ridgemont High.
30. A Christmas Story OK, sure, we all see this movie at least once in the weeks that precede Christmas. Nonetheless, it is still worthy of being placed in the top 50 list. Actually, considering the movie is still enjoying 24 hour marathons at Christmastime, it certainly must deserve recognition!
29. Happy Gilmore Adam Sandler goes from a hockey playing wannabe to a golf star in this somehow heartwarming comedy.
28. Spaceballs This classic Mel Brooks’ film is a spoof on the popular Star Wars movies. Even if you haven’t seen the Star Wars movies (and who hasn’t?), you will still appreciate this movie.
27. Rush Hour All of the movies in the Rush Hour series are great fun to watch, as they combine action with comedy in often unpredictable ways. The charm of Jackie Chan combined with the great comedic timing of Chris Tucker help make all of the Rush Hour films so funny.
26. Shrek This movie made quite a splash when it debuted and even won an Academy award. This movie manages to provide adult humor while still remaining innocent and simple enough to be adored by children as well.
25. Dumb and Dumber This cult classic is one of Jim Carey’s first films, which helped launch him to the superstar status he enjoys today. He and Jeff Daniels have a magical chemistry that makes this movie hilarious from beginning to end.
24. Beavis and Butt-Head Do America You either love than or hate them, and I happen to be a lover of Beavis and Butt-Head. This movie follows the antics of these two goofballs in true Beavis and Butt-Head fashion that stays true to the animated series.
23. Brewster’s Millions Starring Richard Pryor and John Candy, this film follows Brewster as he attempts to obtain his $300 million inheritance. This task isn’t as easy as it sounds, as Brewster must spend $30 million within a short timeframe in order to receive his inheritance.
22. Wayne’s World I loved the Wayne’s World skits on Saturday Night Live and was ecstatic when the antics of Wayne and Garth were brought to the big screen. This is a fun movie that allows you to see Michael Myers and Dana Carvey in their movie debut.
21. Stripes You can’t go wrong with a movie when you mix Bill Murray and John Candy together and throw them into the military. Several other stars got their start in this movie, such as John Larroquette and Judge Reinhold, so don’t miss your opportunity to see them in their younger years.
20. Shaun of the Dead This sure to be cult classic mixes horror with comedy in unexpected ways. This zombie movie spoof includes all of your favorite horror movie scenes, but with its own special twists.
19. Ghostbusters This sci-fi comedy included many of the greatest comedians of the time, including Dan Akroyd, Bill Murray, and Rick Moranis. I remember watching this movie over and over when I was younger (and singing the Ghostbusters song too!). This is one that both you and the kids will love.
18. Clerks This cult classic follows the lives of two clerks and their friends and acquaintances. This film was shot on a budget of less than $30,000. Yet, it has earned over $3,000,000 and is listed as one of the top 100 movies in the 90s by DigitalDreamDoor.
17. Ace Ventura: Pet Detective Jim Carey will keep you in stitches with his crazy antics and wordplay. At the same time, the animals are just as funny if not funnier throughout this classic comedy film
16. Fast Times at Ridgemont High Several of today’s megastars, such as Sean Penn and Nicolas Cage, got their start in this classic comedy, which takes a humorous peek at high school as we all remember it (or would like to forget!).
15. School of Rock This movie was written specifically for Jack Black, and it paid off! Black provides an excellent comedic performance while the children, who are true musical prodigies, provide a stellar performance as well.
14. The Waterboy This hard-hitting comedy (yes, the pun is intended) with a southern flair tells the story of a sheltered boy that makes it big on the college football field.
13. Planes, Trains & Automobiles You can’t go wrong with a movie starring John Candy and Steve Martin, and this just what this movie offers. Aside from one scene where the “f” word is used repeatedly, this is actually a pretty family-friendly film despite its R rating.
12. Airplane! Airplane! is a classic film that spoofs disaster movies while also taking pokes at pop culture of the time. The fun wordplay and double meanings will keep you laughing. And, stop calling me Shirley (if you’ve seen this film, you know what I am referring to!).
11. American Pie This modern day comedy classic follows four boys as they try to lose their virginity before they graduate from high school. This certainly isn’t a family movie, but you will find yourself laughing uncontrollably with guilty pleasure as you watch this film. This movie has also spawned many sequels, which are also quite funny.
10. Uncle Buck Starring John Candy and Macaulay Culkin, this film follows the antics of Uncle Buck as he cares for his three young nieces and nephews while their parents are away.
9. Stir Crazy The irreplaceable Richard Pryor and the ever-funny Gene Wilder star together in this film, with a chemistry that is truly amazing. You will enjoy watching the antics as the two try to get out of prison after being wrongly convicted for a bank robbery.
8. Monty Python and the Holy Grail This was the first Monty Python film to consist entirely of new material. This film, which spoofs King Arthur’s quest for the Holy Grail, is a cult classic that is adored by Monty Python fans around the world.
7. Blazing Saddles Starring Gene Wilder, this Mel Brooks movie is a satire on Western movies. Although this movie didn’t receive much acclaim when it was first released, it has gone on to be considered to be a movie classic.
6. The Blues Brothers This cult-classic musical comedy stars Dan Akroyd and John Belushi. Not only is this movie funny, it includes exciting chase scenes and great music as well!
5. Caddyshack Starring Bill Murray, Rodney Dangerfield, and Chevy Chase, this is truly a comedy classic. If for no other reason, you have to watch this movie so you can catch the many references made to the movie in pop culture. Of course, the fact that it is extremely funny is a good reason to watch it as well!
4. Tootsie This movie brook barriers, with its star Dustin Hoffman dressing up as a woman throughout the film. Yet, no one batted an eye at the sexual ambiguity. This is a classic comedy that should be seen by anyone that considers himself to be a comedy movie buff.
3. Park: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut Otherwise known as The South Park movie, this film managed to take a television cartoon show to new heights. Although the movie is undeniably vulgar, it is quite funny and actually won numerous awards.
2. National Lampoon’s Vacation The first in a series of “Vacation” movies, this original follows Clark Griswold and his family as they embark upon a cross-country road trip. This is truly a classic that should be in any comedy lover’s movie cabinet.
1. National Lampoon’s Animal House This cult classic, which is generally referred to as simply Animal House, stars John Belushi in his prime. This movie follows a group of fraternity brothers and shows how men would secretly be if women weren’t around to keep them in check.