Adult acne is definitely an unpleasant thing to have, especially if you are a woman and care about how you look. If you are well above the teen age and suddenly start developing blackheads and blemishes on your face, which do not want to go away no matter how careful you are about your personal hygiene, read the following facts on what causes adult acne and what you can do to get rid of it.
What makes more than 60 millions of adults in the States (the vast majority of whom are women!) develop middle-age acne, while it is still a rare condition in more traditional societies? The answer is definitely in our industrial lifestyle, bad dietary preferences, and extreme environmental pollution. The basic causes are the following:1. Bad diet is number one cause of adult-onset acne. Bad diet, which robs us of essential nutrients and disrupts both digestive ecology and healthy hormonal balance, usually consists of the following:
- overconsumption (more than 100 grams a day) of carbohydrates, especially in the form of processed breads, pastas, sugar, sweets, soda pop, etc., which stimulates insulin production and severely worsens an acne condition;
- giving preference to newfangled vegetable oils, margarines, and trans fats in processed foods, instead of eating traditional animal fats with antimicrobial and hormone-stabilizing properties (coconut and marine oils, natural butter, cultured cream, etc.);
- eating non-organic meats and dairy products, which contain a big amount of residual hormones and other medication that are fed to the cattle on a regular basis. Consumption of such impure products is especially dangerous for women, because female hormones are very sensitive and can easily get out of balance due to foreign synthetic medication in the food. In time, this bad diet manifests as PMS, pregnancy complications, pathological menopause, and adult acne;
- eating mostly “dead”, cooked and processed, foods, which do not provide friendly bacteria for the digestive tract. It’s interesting to note that women who regularly eat natural yogurt, home-made pickles and unpasteurized sauerkraut, rarely suffer from adult acne.
2. Hormones, which, again, easily get out of balance due to inappropriate food, stress, hormone-containing medication, birth-control pills, and changes brought by the monthly cycle, menopause and pregnancy.
3. Genes. Hereditary element can worsen adult acne, especially in severe cases of so-called “scarring acne”.
4. Synthetic face-care products and makeup, which clog the pores and disrupt the acid-alkaline balance of the face skin. Needless to say that, if you want to have a clean skin, you always should opt for natural and preferably home-made creams and other beauty products for your face.
What are the solutions?
Change your diet, use the best skin care products, and be patient - your body will need some time to restore the balance and cure your skin. A great natural approach to treating adult acne is described here.
However, if you want immediate results, you can try some of numerous acne medications (which usually just mask the symptoms and which I therefore do not recommend). Top acne treatment products can be found at www.review-acne-treatments.com, while information on homeopathic acne remedies you can find at therapy www.biogetica.com.