"Fashion is not something that exists in dresses only. Fashion is in the sky, in the street, fashion has to do with ideas, the way we live, what is happening."
Behind that designer Chanel bag is the legend herself! Named as one of the 100 most influential people of the 20th century, legendary designer Coco Chanel was a pioneer in the world of fashion. Her kind of fashion was inspired by menswear and she believed in simple yet highly expensive designs.
"Not only did she make "black" the black it is today, but she also created the wardrobe staple that none of us can live without- the little black dress!"
Coco Chanel was so enchanted with pockets that this would prove to be the main focus of her designs in handbags for women! Time to add those extra pockets!
"A fashion that does not reach the streets is not a fashion."
Chanel started her career by designing hats which later became a bit hit with aristocratic Parisians. It was her innovative and fancy hat designs that got her attention. Maybe it’s time you turned your hobby into a career!
"Coco was a revolutionary figure in her time, and her persona remains a powerful force in the fashion world to this day."
Did you know that before she became a fashion legend, Coco Chanel used to work as a clerk in a small hosiery shop? Legends do start small! From humble beginnings to grandeur!
"Mademoiselle Chanel knew of the power of celebrities. She would dress famous actresses with her new fashions so as to be walking advertisements. Since then, countless actresses have been fortunate enough to be the face of the House of CHANEL."
If you thought tanning became fashionable by accident, think again! It was Coco Chanel who made it seem fashionable when she got burnt by sun rays way back in 1923 on a cruise towards Cannes! It sure is all in the attitude!
"Innovation! One cannot be forever innovating. I want to create classics."
For more than 30 years Coco Chanel made the mighty hotel Ritz in Paris her home! It was rumored that German officer Dincklage (with whom she was having an affair) made arrangements for her to stay in the hotel!
"There are people who have money and people who are rich."
Maybe there was something special in the number 5 - enough to have Coco Chanel superstitious and in awe of it. Chanel No. 5 was introduced on 5th May 1921! No coincidence this!
"In 1921 Chanel's signature fragrance came out. It was called Chanel No.5, because it was the fifth sample product she created. Marilyn Monroe commented it was her favorite, and still today a bottle of Chanel No. 5 is sold every 30 seconds."
Coco Chanel might have dated and had affairs with plenty of men** but she never got married. Maybe she thought it would take away from her dedication to the fashion world.
"Coco Chanel is my heroine, because she was able to attract lovers with ease and even nonchalance. I don’t think that she had a bond with any of her lovers that was durable enough to make it into the canon of fashion lore. At one time, however, she conducted her entire business out of a lover’s flat. I like to think that she fell freely into this arrangement, but refrained from committing more to it than was actually reasonable."
Li'l Pony, Elegance is Refusal
Top Websites on Coco Chanel That You Can Browse Through!
• **Chanel.com**One of the most comprehensive sites listing virtually everything you want to know about this famous designer. You’ll find everything from fashion designs to pictures to her biography here.
• Coco Chanel at Wikipedia.com**This site has everything from her initial years to the time she built her own empire. So if you are looking for inspiration, then this is the site for you!
• **Coco Chanel at Celebrina.com**This cool website lists out some of the best quotes of Coco Chanel. Many of these are rather humorous as they’re directed towards men! Read on and enjoy!
• **Coco Chanel at Women's History**Do you want to read the complete biography of Coco Chanel? You can read up on her life history here on this site. It’s definitely worth a few minutes of your time.
• **Coco Chanel at Myhero.com**Seeing is believing? Take a look at some beautiful pictures of this famous fashion queen. This site also has a concise biography.
Please rate this article