Sometimes you need a great dinner for your family, but only have a little bit of a time to put it together. On days like those, the idea of putting a full roast chicken on the table seems a bit daunting. However, with this recipe, you won't need a lot of time and your family will love you at the end of it, I promise.
• 680 gm organic drumsticks
• 1 golden sweet potato, sliced
• 1/2 red onion, cut into quarters
• 2 Tbsp olive oil
• Kosher salt, to taste
• freshly ground pepper, to taste
• 2 heads garlic
• 4 sprigs fresh rosemary
• 2 Tbsp white wine vinegar
• 1/4 cup chicken broth
• Preheat oven to 200C (392F).
• Rinse drumsticks and wipe dry. Generously sprinkle salt and pepper to all sides. Season sweet potato slices with salt and olive oil to taste. Separate the heads of garlic into cloves. No need to peel at this stage.
• Heat oil in a skillet or frying pan over medium-high heat. Brown drumstick evenly, about 5 minutes.
• Place sweet potatoes into a baking tray, arranged in a single layer. Add the drumsticks, garlic, onion and rosemary. Bake in preheated oven until drumsticks are done but still moist, about 15 to 20 minutes.
• Remove baking tray from oven. Transfer sweet potatoes, drumsticks and onion on a warm plate, covered. Discard rosemary. Retain garlic in the tray (You might like to peel the garlic skin off at this stage. The skin of cooked garlic comes off easily. ) Pour chicken broth into tray, scrape up any browned bits with a wooden spoon from all sides. Add the vinegar and cook until boils. Then simmer until the sauce thickens slightly, about 2 minutes. Pour the sauce and garlic over the drumsticks. Serve hot.