Since my 2 week trip has now turned into over 3 months now, I've started to realize how much this city has changed me. And how differently I do things here than in Los Angeles.
1. The Absence of Music Drives Me Insane. No More Car Radio to Blissfully Listen to as I Sit on the 405 Freeway in a Traffic Gridlock for over 45 Minutes. No Wonder Everyone Here Has an ITunes Glued to Their Ears. I've Got to Get One of Those Things....
2. I Love NY. Why? I Lose Weight. I've Lost 10 Lbs, Not from Watching My Diet or Nothing, but from Walking. Just Plain 1 Hour+ Walking Almost Every Single Day Getting to Meetings, Shoots, Running Errands. and Silly Me Ends up Doing Speed Walking Because I'm Just Fast That Way. Which of Course I Hope Just Burns More Calories
3. Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream. Yep. Every Sunday is 'free Day' Where I Eat Whatever I Want and Don't Care. the Rest of the Week, I Keep an Eye on My Diet and Ben & Jerry's Has Somehow Become a Staple in My Sunday Food Feast. Why? Why? Why?
4. The Windy City and Lip Gloss. Doesn't Matter Where You Are, but Somehow NY and Lip Gloss Don't Mix. Why? Just Turn a Corner Here and Bam, You're Hit with a Blast of Wind. so I Always Wear My Hair in a Pony Tail on a Super Great Shiny Lip Day. Nothing Worse than Getting Hair Whipped into My Lips and Getting Stuck There
5. Similar to #4. Hair. Ponytail. Windy Day. a Must Here. and the Coolest Way People Are Wearing It Here? a Ponytail Tied up into a Low Bun, with a Super Thick Fabric or Fake Leather Headband in Red, Black or Brown. Looks so Chic and Audrey Hepburn
6. Shoe Gel Inserts. a Must. Think Carrie Bradshaw AKA the It Girl from "Sex & the City" Was Really Doing All That Walking around NYC? Oh Please. She Wouldn't Last More than 3 Blocks Here, Not to Mention All the Major Stair Climbing Just to Get on and off a Subway, the Transport of Choice Here with the Ultra Hip Metro Card and It's $2 per Way Fee. Cabs? Well, if You Don't Mind Spending a Minimum of $15 One Way. Your Feet Will Thank Me
7. Weather Report Checking. I Know, the Weather in Sunny LA Rarely Changes and Whenever It Does, No Matter How Slight, It Becomes a 'storm Watch'. Here? Weather Changes from Hour to Hour. Think It'll Be Sunny? Make Sure before You Leave the House. Check the Weather. I Can't Tell You How Many Times the Weather Has Changed from Sunny to 'possibility of Rain' within an Hour, and Temperature Changing 10-20 Degrees Day to Day
8. Sunglasses. What is up with New Yorkers? as in Not Wearing Them? It's Sunny, It's Windy. You Need Them. so Why do I Feel like a Stalker or Even, a Celebrity Imposter Whenever I Wear My Dark Shades? I Get Looks like You Wouldn't Believe. and Not the Good Kind. the Kind as in "who do You Think you Are?" Looks. without Those Sunglasses, My Eyes Would Just Freak out from All That Wind and Dust Blowing around... and a Tear Streaked Makeup Job is Not a Pretty Sight, Believe Me
9. It's All about the Clothes. Yep, Here, It's What You're Wearing. I Walk out the Door Thinking I'm Looking so Hip and Chic Only to Look around and Feel like a Major out of Place Tourist. New Yorkers, 'specially Women Just Know How to do That Thing with Their Clothes.. I'm Still Trying to Figure It out
and last but not least
10. I'm Just so Happy Here. the Energy of This City Has Me Literally Walking down the Street with a Big Ole Smile on My Face. I've Made Friends Here That Hopefully Will Turn into Lifelong Friendships. and Opportunities Here That I Never Could Have Gotten in L.a. like Harper's Bazaar? One Beauty Story Coming up! and Yes, I'm Still in Shock. We're Shooting Next Week
So L.A.? You're going to have to really convince me big time, for me to come back home........
P.S. I'm stumped! Truly. What topic shall I cover in my next podcast? Product? Techniques..... let me know! Just Odeo me a voicemail.