1. Don't Get Wasted
You can't be a good wingwoman if you're wasted – you have to be on point to help your friends with the hookup! Getting drunk also makes it that much harder to keep an eye on your pals – you want to keep them safe from creepers and Felipes, you know.
2. Remember, You Are There to Help Your Girl
Or your boy, of course, because you can play wingwoman for a guy friend as well. Just keep your eyes on the prize.
3. Encourage Your Girlfriends to Be Confident
Let them know that they are queens, that they are smart, funny, witty, kind, and beautiful. Let them know that they're worth getting to know, whether it's for a night or a lifetime – whatever they're looking for.
4. Just Go with It
Play a part. Be whatever your friend needs … even if it means spending an hour talking to the most boring person on earth.
5. You've Got to Be at Their Beck and Call
Your friends need you. In wingman parlance (gag), you may even need to jump on a grenade.
6. … Just for the Evening
It's not forever, though. Just for the night.
7. Don't Be Too Aggressive
As a wingwoman, you have to walk a tightrope. It's a delicate balance, but coming off aggressively can ruin the night in an instant.
8. Be Cool in Front of the Person She's Hitting on
Even if you think they look like a bag of smashed butt holes.
9. Don't Butt in, Unless Your Girl Wants You to
It's best if you devise some signs for each other before you go out for the night. Yep, a good wingwoman will take the time to craft a secret language.
10. Know when You Need to Shut up
You'll know, especially as you take on the role more and more often. It's an instinct.
11. Also, Know when You Need to Walk Away
So is this – especially if you have a friend who likes hooking up with d-bags. It happens.
12. Know How to Handle His Friends
This is your jam. This is your job. This is what you have to do.
13. … Even if His Friends Are Annoying
Especially with the guy or girl's friends are annoying. That's when your friend needs you the most, in fact.
14. Encourage Your Friend to Push past Her Comfort Zone
Not so much that she's actively uncomfortable, obviously, but definitely do encourage your friends to step out with confidence.
15. Stop Other People from Approaching if She Finds Someone She Likes
Don't let anyone bird dog your friend! Make sure she's protected from interlopers.
16. Encourage a Dance or Two
This will also give you a small break, which will probably be quite welcome.
17. Make Sure She is Safe if She Does Leave with Him
Always. Always, always, always – and don't let her leave if she doesn't have control of her faculties. How do you help your friends when you go out together?