**The Great Debaters Soundtrack
In Stores 12/11**
Pre-order Soundtrack Here
Atlantic Records has announced details of “THE GREAT DEBATERS - MUSIC FROM & RECORDED FOR THE MOTION PICTURE,” the original motion picture soundtrack to the forthcoming Weinstein Company theatrical release. Due in stores on December 11th, the album features an extraordinary roster of modern artists - including Sharon Jones, Alvin ‘Youngblood’ Hart, and the Carolina Chocolate Drops - performing pre-1935 blues, folk, jazz, and gospel classics. Directed by and starring Academy Award®-winner Denzel Washington, The Great Debaters is set to open in theaters nationwide on December 25th.
The pre-1935 songs were hand picked by Denzel Washington for the various on camera scenes from over 1000 songs from the period. Recorded largely at Memphis’ world-renowned Ardent Studios, “THE GREAT DEBATERS - MUSIC FROM & RECORDED FOR THE MOTION PICTURE” centers around Grammy Award-winning blues singer/guitarist Alvin ‘Youngblood’ Hart and Brooklyn-based soul sensation Sharon Jones, who are featured both as solo performers and in collaboration with The Carolina Chocolate Drops. Among the album’s many highlights is a version of the traditional “Step It Up and Go,” performed by Hart and legendary Hi Rhythm Section guitarist Teenie Hodges (Al Green, Ann Peebles). In addition, Hart unites with traditional African-American string band, the Carolina Chocolate Drops, for a series of songs, including a stunning take on Blind Willie Johnson’s “Nobody’s Fault But Mine” and the exciting Mississippi Sheiks hit, ‘Blood In My Eyes For You.”
Elsewhere, Jones pairs with Memphis’ acclaimed community choir, Billy Rivers and the Angelic Voices of Faith, for soaring renditions of such classic spirituals as “We Shall Not Be Moved” and “Up Above My Head.” “THE GREAT DEBATERS - MUSIC FROM & RECORDED FOR THE MOTION PICTURE” also features jazz favorites like Duke Ellington’s “Delta Serenade,” performed by the esteemed New York-based big band, David Berger and the Sultans of Swing. The collection is rounded off by period recordings from such luminaries as Marian Anderson, Art Tatum, and the Delmore Brothers.
“THE GREAT DEBATERS - MUSIC FROM & RECORDED FOR THE MOTION PICTURE” was produced by G. Marq Roswell & Denzel Washington. G. Marq Roswell is known for his work as music supervisor on over 50 films.
1. “My Soul is a Witness” - Alvin ‘Youngblood’ Hart & Sharon Jones
2. “That’s What My Baby Likes” - Sharon Jones, Alvin Youngblood Hart & Teenie Hodges
3. “I’ve Got Blood in My Eyes for You” - the Carolina Chocolate Drops & Alvin ‘Youngblood’ Hart
4. “Step It up and Go” - Alvin ‘Youngblood’ Hart & Teenie Hodges
5. “It’s Tight like That” - Sharon Jones, Alvin Youngblood Hart & Teenie Hodges
6. “Busy Bootin’” - Alvin ‘Youngblood’ Hart & the Carolina Chocolate Drops
7. “City of Refuge” - Alvin ‘Youngblood’ Hart & the Carolina Chocolate Drops
8. “Two Wings” - Alvin ‘Youngblood’ Hart, Sharon Jones W/Billy Rivers and the Angelic Voices of Faith
9. “Delta Serenade” - David Berger & the Sultans of Swing
10. “Rock N’ Rye” - David Berger & the Sultans of Swing
11. “Wild about That Thing” - Sharon Jones, Alvin Youngblood Hart, & Teenie Hodges
12. “Nobody’s Fault but Mine” - Alvin ‘Youngblood’ Hart & the Carolina Chocolate Drops
13. “How Long before I Change My Clothes” - Alvin ‘Youngblood’ Hart
14. “We Shall Not Be Moved” - Sharon Jones W/Billy Rivers and the Angelic Voices of Faith
15. “up above My Head” - Sharon Jones W/Billy Rivers and the Angelic Voices of Faith
16. “the Shout” - Art Tatum
17. “Begrussung” - Marian Anderson
ABOUT THE FILM
“Believe in the power of words”
From two-time Academy Award winner Denzel Washington and an ensemble cast lead by Washington that includes Academy Award® winner Forest Whitaker, comes “The Great Debaters.” Inspired by a true story, “The Great Debaters” chronicles the journey of Professor Melvin Tolson (Denzel Washington), a brilliant but volatile debate team coach who uses the power of words to shape a group of underdog students from a small African American college in the deep south into a historically elite debate team. A controversial figure, Professor Tolson challenged the social mores of the time and was under constant fire for his unconventional and ferocious teaching methods as well as his radical political views.
In their pursuit for excellence, Tolson’s debate team receives a groundbreaking invitation to debate Harvard University’s championship team. The film is directed by Denzel Washington and stars Washington, Forest Whitaker, Jurnee Smollett, Nate Parker, Denzel Whitaker, and Kimberly Elise. “The Great Debaters” was written by Robert Eisele and Tom Epperson and produced by Todd Black, Kate Forte, Oprah Winfrey and Joe Roth. Presented by The Weinstein Company, “The Great Debaters,” will be released by MGM on December 25th.