10 Pros and Cons of Lap Band Surgery ...
There are so many guys and girls out there that are looking into lap band surgery as they need a cure for their obesity. Below, I am going to give you 10 pros and cons of lap band surgery. I am going to start you off with the cons and then move you to the pros…
• You should remind yourself that weight loss surgery is not a cure for obesity. Yes, it can give you the assistance you need in order to develop a healthier life.
• Failure to lose weight is a common complication of this surgery. However, it is mostly attributed by the individuals unwillingness to make the necessary modifications.
• With this procedure the weight loss will be slower than it would be with Gastric Bypass.
• For optimal results, it is critical that you follow up regularly.
• You will need to have an implanted medical device.
• There are some cases where the access port could leak and this could cause the patient to have to go through minor revisional surgery.
• Due to band slippage, the effectiveness could be reduced.
• It has also been stated that one in three hundred people die from having lap band surgery. Sure, this is a less than one percent risk, but it is still something to add in there when you are considering this procedure. Only you will be able to decide if the potential outweigh the risks.
• The band could erode into the stomach wall when it slips out of place.
• This procedure is not something that can be reversed.
Photo Credit: a.drian
• The mortality rate is actually lower.
• This is the least invasive surgical approach.
• No stomach stapling will be required.
• No stomach cutting will be required, so you will not have to deal with a scar.
• There is not going to be any intestinal re-routing as with some of the other surgeries.
• It is adjustable and is known for being the lowest operative complication rate.
• While the others have a risk of malnutrition, this procedure actually holds a low malnutrition risk.
• The recovery rate is faster because the surgery is laparoscopic.
• According to research, after this procedure, most of the patients will be able to go home.
• During this procedure, a saline-filled band will be placed around the stomach. It will squeeze the stomach in order to reduce the amount of food you are able to put in there. Without further surgery, it is adjustable.
While there are cons, there are also pros to it. It is up to you to decide if you want the lap band surgery performed. Can you think of anymore pros or cons of lap band surgery? What do you least like about it? What do you like the most? Feel free to tell me your opinion.
Top Photo Credit: helgasms!