There are so many guys and girls out there that are looking into lap band surgery as they need a cure for their obesity. Below, I am going to give you 10 pros and cons of lap band surgery. I am going to start you off with the cons and then move you to the pros…
Photo Credit: Funky64 (www.lucarossato.com)
- You should remind yourself that weight loss surgery is not a cure for obesity. Yes, it can give you the assistance you need in order to develop a healthier life.
- Failure to lose weight is a common complication of this surgery. However, it is mostly attributed by the individuals unwillingness to make the necessary modifications.
- With this procedure the weight loss will be slower than it would be with Gastric Bypass.
- For optimal results, it is critical that you follow up regularly.
- You will need to have an implanted medical device.
- There are some cases where the access port could leak and this could cause the patient to have to go through minor revisional surgery.
- Due to band slippage, the effectiveness could be reduced.
- It has also been stated that one in three hundred people die from having lap band surgery. Sure, this is a less than one percent risk, but it is still something to add in there when you are considering this procedure. Only you will be able to decide if the potential outweigh the risks.
- The band could erode into the stomach wall when it slips out of place.
- This procedure is not something that can be reversed.